Sunday 3 February 2013

The mini House of Frankenstein

Just when it was all going so swimmingly, I have had my first disaster. 

Having received some very positive and lovely comments (for which I thank you) regarding the start of my quest to turn the junk shop house into No 1. Heatherside Corner, I may have allowed myself to become a little smug about the tiny achievements I have had so far.  The sawing, clamping, glueing, painting and sanding have progressed well. My creation is a success so far.... [Cue mad laugh]

To counteract this, and to put me firmly back in my amateur place,  The Mini House Project has bared its teeth and bitten me firmly on the behind. I have wasted a whole day and in the process, have pretty much ruined the beautifully crafted, tiny dolls house by Jacqueline Crosby Miniatures, which I purchased from the City of London Dolls House Festival last weekend. 



In my over-enthusiasm to "Mini Houseify" everything, I thought it would be a good idea to turn the handmade, wooden miniature dolls house I bought, into a tiny version of the slightly bigger thing. Instead of leaving well alone.

Well now the damage is done (apologies in advance to Ms Crosby). 
A similar house to mine, by Jacqueline Crosby Miniatures, 
but one that has escaped being Minihouseified...

I have created a monster. Complete with scars, stitch marks and copious amounts of glue. Having not only sawed bits off it, printed, and then firmly glued on sheets of replica, only smaller, brickwork, I decided to make matters worse by trying to add badly made cardboard window frames. 

But not, sadly, before prising off all the original and perfectly formed window sills and chimneys with my little scalpel, with a view to re-gluing them once my "work here was done". 


And then, to put the icing on the already sinking cake, I attempted to paint it with acrylic, in bad light, while wearing my old reading glasses (the lenses of which are only marginally thinner than the bottom of milk bottles).


It has not gone well. 




The Bride of Mini House's best side - believe me, you don't want to see what the other side looks like.... 
The condemned signs are up. And I don't think I can soak the glue and paper off the poor tiny monstrosity, to return it to its former self. It is "subject to demolition".  I have put it back in its box for now, and am considering burying it later in the back garden, with a few well chosen words to mark it's passing. 

The Lesson has been learned.  Never try to run before you can walk. And never, ever, run with scissors.

"Learn from me, if not by my precepts, at least by my example, how dangerous is the acquirement of knowledge, and how much happier that man is who believes his native town to be his world, than he who aspires to become greater than his nature will allow." Mary Shelley - Frankenstein.

But onwards and upwards.


The Mini House Project continues. It's all a learning curve afterall.

The trials and tribulations of turning a junk-shop dolls house into No 1. Heatherside Corner .....

2 comments:

  1. Well it doesn't look as bad as you've made out. I'm sure you've punished yourself enough but, really,it looks fine to me. Chin up girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sylvia, that's very kind. But you should see the front... am too embarrassed to upload the picture! :o)
    It was so well made to begin with, I feel rather guilty about what I have done to it! But I guess, there will be many more mistakes along the way so upwards and onwards!

    ReplyDelete